Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviews from Around the World-Alexander:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you like the movie-Alexander by Oliver Stone?
Yes
88%
 88%  [ 8 ]
No
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reviews from Around the World-Alexander: Reply with quote

Perhaps its worth starting a string where everyone can share the reviews from different countries, wherever they might be or live:D So in this way people who are interested about the reviews don't have to hunt for these. It can be pretty overwhelming on here at times Smile

So, here goes:

Here are some reviews from the Greek public on Alexander from the “Athinorama”. Translated from the original Greek article. The movie is rated on a five star scale. I've included the ratings as well. Certainly makes for some interesting reading:

Critique: *: 04/12/2004 01:50:51::
1. Naturally I did not expect to see the entire history of the undefeated Alexander in the battle scenes, but I do want to say this:
If even a mediocre director had 160.000.000 Euros and two well respected historians such as these at his disposal, it would be difficult to make a worse film.

2. So, was Peter Jackson misinformed, in the trilogy of the “Lord of the Rings”, when he didn’t deviate at all from Tolkien’s story? Wasn’t the result more than “good”?

3. As a director, when you are trying to interpret such a historical figure, you can’t be an artistic miser and in ¾ of the film and depict the non-proven relationships of Alexander with men and at the same time overlook the much more important relationship and well known relationship with his mentor Aristotle and everything that this encompasses (who he became, his beliefs etc.)

4. The rape scene by Philip is a very “hard” scene and revolting to say the least, with a Val Kilmer who it would appear emerges from prehistory to partake in this spectacle.

5. Oliver Stone has grown old and senile. What ever beliefs he accumulated in his lifetime, he expressed through Alexander and the film’s narrator. Let us hope he makes a better movie before he dies. Certain moments are good; you can capture these on a 15 minute video clip.

Critique:** :: 04/12/2004 01:36:39
1. Oh Alexander….you were once great. Now in present times of ignorance, we brought you back to life with the stars of Hollywood. Now you are an imperialist, gay and a drunkard. And who judges you? Slaves of bosses, credit cards and materialistic greed. Oh so what, what was Alexander anyway? He was something like us but definitely with greater faults. You are being judged by people who don’t know which century you lived in and who don’t even know your mentor Aristotle and will probably never study his work anyway….we hope you’ll forgive us. Kisses to Hephaestion.

Critique: **** :: 03/12/2004 23:16:16::

1. A masterpiece. You come out of the movie theatre feeling proud that you are a descendant of this larger than life General and person...cinematographically they do not need criticism, I take my hat off to Oliver Stone for one more time for ignoring
reactions and making a film epic with depth, completely shaped characters unrelated to the simple blockbuster genre. Historically, there aren’t any errors. Collin Farrell gives a really good performance (I expected far less), Jolie comes across convincingly as the ill-treated schemer Olympia, while Val Kilmer makes a commendable appearance. The surprise package however is Lito , a relatively unknown actor who embodies the attributes of Hephaestion. As far as the homosexual element is concerned, this only really appears in the Dionysus orgies (aptly named), while his relationship with Hephaestion reminds one more of a very close brotherly bond than that of lovers. The battles scenes are few but generally good. You don’t get bored at any point and there exists a permanent effort on the part of the director to show us the person that is Alexander, a person who is tortured by a thousand and two dilemmas...The costumes, the representation of the music, the title music of beginning and end and the music of Vangelis, all exceptional, they harmoniously tie up with each other. Best scene in my opinion (SPOILERS) this is where the generals of Alexander are debating and arguing amongst themselves about the successor of Alexander as Alexander lies on his death bed...showing human greed and malice in all its greatness...

Generally, a historical epic perfectly different from those that we have gotten used to
from Hollywood. Well done Mr. Stone
Lala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, yes I liked it.
Historically & mythically = best possible for a 3 hour film about a person who was Great. Still full of information to search about. Like the eagle eyed vision of Alexander.
Visually = dense and liked it. This will make me watch it again and again.
Costumes = Liked them a lot apart from the Angelina's white gown that looks like a base-ball (the white one with the red stitches).
Some decorating artifacts (sculptures, paintings, mosaics) looked cheap. Babylon and other settings were great.
Acting = I liked Sir Anthony Hopkins, Angelina Jollie, Colin Farrel and Jared Leto (enormous eyes!!). One thing I didn't like was the "affectionate" moments of Alexander and Hephestion because they are not persuasive enough...and they (Farrel & Leto) ... Embarassed made me laugh. But for sure it made me think too: Who is the one person in your lives that knows absolutely everything about you? Who is the one person you confide your deepest fears to, no matter how horrible they may be? THAT is the basis of the relationship of those two. Imagine losing this person from your side.
I think I understand why O.S. used Dawson for Roxane. Good choice in order to show the Oedipus complex. Some similarities to Jolie and certainly different.
And the little ones were all great choices and cute ones! Specially the 2 Alexanders.
Music= I liked it.
...I was also amazed by the quantity of ....papyri in the film! ...and wished I had one! Beautiful decoration! Very Happy Wink
Lala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by the way, the horse was also great. Loved it! And the elephant.
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lala wrote:
...I was also amazed by the quantity of ....papyri in the film! ...and wished I had one! Beautiful decoration! Very Happy Wink
Wonder where they got that from...... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: